31 October 2013

Halloween Readings of Horror Classics on Kindle

.
I joined another Bangkok meet-up Book group, a new one that I won’t be able to attend much in person.  But the October book pick was The Picture of Dorian Gray (1890) by Oscar Wilde.  I downloaded it to my Kindle and thoroughly enjoyed it. 
.
To stay in the holiday spirit of Halloween and all things ghastly, I immediately downloaded and read Frankenstein: or the Modern Prometheus (1818) by Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley.  Wonderful! 
.
Next I downloaded that masterpiece, Dracula (1897) by Bram Stoker.  It was longer than I remembered, and I’m now sure that I had never finished reading the entire book all those decades ago.  It is definitely a classic of horror that I couldn’t put down. 
.
One beautiful thing about the Kindle is that it is well suited for older books that are out of copyright, hence they are free.  Another thing is that Kindle has a dictionary where you can highlight a word and a definition pops up -- this being especially helpful when reading old books with unfamiliar archaic English usages, as in the three books above from the 19th Century.  
.
-Zenwind.

.